The method of study was defined by the Franco-Spanish summit of 2008. For its detailed description, refer to the page PROJECT of the site.
Study of freight traffic across Pyrenees
- Study realized by Ineco / Setec International
This study was conducted over the period 2011-2013. The study focused on the updating of the Franco-Spanish traffic model, which analyzes the evolution of freight traffic between the Iberian Peninsula and the north of the Pyrenees for all modes of freight traffic (sea, rail, and road).
The study made it possible to estimate the freight traffic in the hypothesis of the realization of a new rail crossing of the Pyrenees in addition to the known projects of evolution of the French and Spanish transport infrastructures. Thanks to this study we have a predicted traffic forecast across the Pyrenees and the share that can be carried by rail mode by 2040, in different scenarios and with the elements of analysis on the carry-over of traffic induced by the project of both the road to the railway and the railway axes.
- Updating realized by Arcadis/Setec/Ineco
In 2019, Arcadis (macroeconomic scenario), Setec (demand for freight transport by all modes) and Ineco (projections of freight transport flows by routes) have updated freight transport flows across the Pyrenees conducted in 2011-2013, based on the following assumptions:
- Update of the macroeconomic scenarios : GDP, international trade, scenarios, etc. (Arcadis) used for the studies from 2011-2013.
- Updating of demand projections for all-modal freight transport (Setec) based on the most recent data available and the results of the update carried out by Arcadis.
- Updates of the NAF GCT (Ineco) freight traffic projections by mode and by rail axes based on the results of the update carried out by Setec
Study of environmental, technical and functional conditions
- Study realized by Sener / Ingérop
This study was conducted over the period 2014-2015. The study made it possible to identify and prioritize the main environmental issues, sensitivities and risks in the broad sense (structure and characteristics of the territory, human environment, and transport networks), using a systemic methodological approach taking into account the results of the traffic study. It also takes into account two time horizons: 2030 and 2050.
The study makes it possible to have a presentation of the initial state in a large study area grouping the French and Spanish regions bordering the Pyrenees with the collection of data useful for highlighting places where to look for options of passage.
The hierarchy of the data allowed the clarification of the environmental stakes and the identification of couples of Spanish and French valleys that could provide opportunities for a new crossing of the Pyrenees.
- Updating realized by Sener
In 2019, Sener updated the environmental studies conducted in 2014-2015, based on the following assumptions:
- Updating of environmental standards (Spanish, French, European)
- Integration of available up-to-date environmental data into public databases
- Use of the methodology followed during the studies conducted in 2014-2015
- Focus on the valley pairs selected at the end of the 2014-2015 studies
- Integration of a variant of altimetry of the base tunnel portals at 800 m in addition to the altimetry at 1000m.
> Download the synthesis of this update : synthesis Sener
Study of the territorial context
- Study realized by Idom / Arcadis / Parmenion
This study was conducted over the period 2014-2015 with knowledge of the two previous studies used as a framework for framing the presentation speech of the project.
The study made it possible to identify the perception of the project by the institutional actors concerned by the project at local, regional, national and European level. Some 140 people were interviewed, which made it possible to feed the reflections on the functionalities and the stakes (economic, spatial planning, transport etc.) of the New Trans-Pyrenees High Railway Axis. The study allows to describe and analyze the social, political and economic context of the project by giving a vision of the questions raised by the project for the territory.
The study provides recommendations for the inclusion of a project for a new crossing in the territory and guidelines for the preparation of a public debate in France and prior consultations in Spain.
Study of corridors for possible routes
- Study realized by Rail Concept / Eptisa / Anteagroup
This study took place during the year 2015.
The study of the possible corridors put in perspective the results of the three previous studies to identify the most favorable corridors of routes, considering also a wider field of problems: inscription in a European corridor, modalities for the realization of multi- Modality, economic conditions.
The study makes it possible to have proposals for possible path corridors validated from the point of view of civil engineering and railway techniques at the level of preliminary studies. Economic and socio-economic assessments are added to the environmental and technical elements in the comparison of possible route corridors.
- Updating realized by Eptisa/Rail Concept
In 2019, Eptisa updated the studies of possible corridors conducted over the period 2014-2015, based on the following assumptions
- Focus on selected pairs of valleys at the end of the studies from 2014-2015
- Taking into consideration the update of the environmental studies carried out by Sener
- Updating of the macro price base for the year 2019 and evaluation of the investment of each corridor
- Integration of a variant of solutions with an altimetry of the base tunnel portals at 800 m in addition to the solutions with an altimetry at 1000m
In addition, in 2019, Rail Concept has updated the socio-economic balance studies, in accordance with
- Macroeconomic hypotheses : GDP per country, international trade and scenario, … conducted by Arcadis
- Update of freight transport flows accross the Pyrenees by mode and scenario produced by Ineco
- Updating of the investment valuation of the possible corridors realized by Eptisa
- Adapting Socio-Economic assessment to the French method
- Integration of socio-economic evaluation of variant solutions with an altimetry of the base tunnel portals at 800 m in addition to solutions with an altimetry at 1000m
> Download the synthesis of this update : synthesis Eptisa/Rail Concept
- Study realized by Idom/Arcadis
In 2019, Idom/Arcadis conducted a benchmarking study of projects with similarities to the NTP HRA project, in order to be able to draw good practices applicable to the NTP HRA. The first interim results were presented at an institutional consultation meeting in Zaragoza on the 14th November 2019. The study was carried out in four stages, as described below.
- Identification of criteria for the selection of potential projects (or infrastructures already completed) and their comparative analysis.
- Selection of a list of projects to be studied more precisely: 4 projects were selected
- Visit of the 4 selected projects and collection of the practices implemented on the basis of the criteria that led to the selection of these projects.
- Elaboration of a multi-criteria matrix and a Strengths/Weaknesses Opportunities/Threats (SWOT) type analysis
> Download the synthesis of this study : synthesis Idom/Arcadis
Study of the global evolution of freight traffic in Iberian ports
- Study realized by Teirlog Ingeniería / CTS consulting
The study, drawn up by Teirlog Ingeniería y CTS consulting, focuses on the prospects of world trade development and the features of maritime freight transport towards Europe, globally considering the great geographical areas of origin, development of fleets, deployment and development of regular lines and main ports of entry.
Also addressing the infrastructures and services of the main Atlantic and Mediterranean ports of freight entry towards the central European area, considering land transport networks and costs associated with the overall land and sea transport chain.
Moreover, it also analyses possible land routings for freight from/towards the Iberian ports, that may play a more relevant role in feeding traffic on the High-Capacity Trans-Pyrenees Crossing, considering this as a complementary or alternative rail axis to those that cross the Spanish-French border at Irún- Hendaya, Portbou-Cerbere and Figueres-Perpignan.
Finally, the study explores the conditions and scenarios that would lead the Iberian ports to compete with the northern European ports, enabling a land link between the Iberian Peninsula and even northern Africa, and Europe with the High-Capacity Trans-Pyrenees Crossing.
Download the synthesis of 2019 : Teirlog Ingeniería / CTS consulting.